Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Day 28 & 29 - Roadblocks

I know. You got me. I didn't post yesterday. It hurts me too. I'd like to think I had good reason. I got a particularly nasty case of food poisoning. At a particular burger place downtown in the city I live, I had a burger with foie gras coating the bun. Oh lord, was it tasty. I mean, J. H. Christ, it was savory and delicious.

At first, I was ok. I was really tired, with mild nausea. It wasn't that bad. I did find myself susceptible to a certain kind of temptation like there was nothing wrong with me. Go figure. But as soon as I was sitting still, it hit me like a ton of bricks. I felt like I vomited gallons, with just as much shooting out of every other hole I have. You're welcome for the visual.

I'm still hurting now. Not last night "I think I'm going to die, actually I hope I do, because that would be so much better than this" hurt, but enough to distract me from living my life.

But you know what? Here I am. Granted I have a hurting tummy, a body that is freezing and burning up simultaneously, a headache from the stone age, but here I am, writing this post. It actually plays into my schedule fairly well, since I was going to write about obstacles anyway.

And let me tell you, diarrhea is an obstacle. I didn't miss my workout yesterday, and I won't miss it tomorrow either. My food is still spot-on as well. All I've eaten is low-carb flax bread with some butter. You can't hold me down.

And that brings me to today's topic. When you've made a commitment, decided to accomplish a goal, what do you do when obstacles inevitably rear their ugly head to fuck up your pace and progress?

Answer: you don't stop. Ever. To paraphrase Thomas Edison: No, I didn't fail a thousand times, I discovered a thousand ways that didn't work. And for that, I'm grateful.

How you react to obstacles, roadblocks, detours, is completely up to you. If you give up because of the obstacle, then it wasn't the obstacle's fault. It was yours.

In fact, somewhere in this experience, I haven't found it yet, but there is a silver lining, a positive spin that will make me better. Until then, even if it doesn't come at all, which it will, I will keep going. Not a single thing in the world will stop me from reaching my goals.

Know how many times the Wright Brothers tried to fly unsuccessfully before they took off the first time? Me neither, but I bet you anything it was a fuck-bunch of times.

Don't give up. Ever. You'll be proud of yourself at the end. You'll figure out how strong and unstoppable you are, whether you crashed into the ground, or some bad dressing turned you into a goose-liver sprinkler.

No comments:

Post a Comment