Saturday, January 18, 2014

Day 18 - ECDYsterone

Ecdysterone is a testosterone-like substance found in plants and some water-dwelling animals. It is used mostly to ensure proper nutrient distribution of the plant, and is the source of energy insects receive when they eat plants.

This is an extremely polarizing supplement. On the one hand, there are many websites and sources (including some very reputable ones) that say that the product has no effect on humans whatsoever. They say that there have been no clinical studies that determine its efficacy as a muscle-builder, which is true, however, it hasn't been tested on humans yet, so its hard to say, just based on that assumption, that it doesn't work.

The other group is equally as vehement. There are many users (unaffiliated with a distributor) that claim to have received incredible results from taking the product. Granted, there isn't an exact dosage guide, and there have been multiple sources giving different recommendations. Even some of the biggest critics of the supplement claim that there is an "effective dose" but that it would be hundreds of milligrams a day.

I can weigh in on this, as I have tried the product before, in Mass Pro's Kre-Anabolyn. After four weeks, I found an increased rate of muscle production than the four weeks prior, all being equal with program intensity and diet. It was enough of a noticeable difference to include the product permanently in my supplementation. I did play with the dosage a bit.

Robert Regish's groundbreaking program, The Blueprint, has a strong foundation on the use of Ecdysterone, though says its not the single MOST important supplement. Rob is a big proponent of intra-workout supplementation, karbolyn or the like, which is a whole nother divisive topic for a whole nother day.

On his program, he had my multiply my usual daily dose of Kre-Anabolyn by a factor of 3, and although I did experience positive results from the program, I can't definitively say that the increased dosage resulted in an increased effectiveness.

Therefore, for the brodyssey, I am multiplying my original dosage by a much more manageable 1.5, and spreading it evenly throughout the day.

Here are the purported benefits over time for a four-week trial of Kre-Anabolyn, that I personally did experience on my first cycle with the product.

Within the first 3 days
-deeper sleep
-noticeable increase in VO2 max
-increased thirst

Within the first 2 weeks
-noticeable decrease in DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness)
-improved intra-set recovery
-improved inter-workout recovery
-ability to move more total tonnage per unit of time

After week 3 and beyond
-profound decrease in DOMS
-big improvement in intra-set recovery, by as much as 30 seconds with the ability to move the same weight/reps
-ability to squeeze at least one extra workout in per week due to improved recovery
-visible increase in lean body mass
-visible leaning effect

Not only did I notice all of these improvements, but I noticed a radical decrease in my recovery time my first week off the supplement.

You may also notice your nails and hair growing faster.

My personal experience: a great product that can deliver what it promises providing that you experiment with it enough to find your own unique dosage requirements based on your activity level and tolerance.

No comments:

Post a Comment